Happy Peaceful News

Loading...

Check out the flicks man....

Loading...

Hippie's Search Here Man.....

Loading...

Saturday, March 5, 2011

A Special Connection With Love, Not Blood...

Recently, I was graciously reminded by my stepson that he and my step-daughter, my step-kids, weren't mentioned in my last blog titled I am "That Old Man"...I mentioned my wife and my grand kids only! Shame shame on me! Clint just mentioning that made me feel wonderful because he noticed...Dig this though...I noticed too! I can't speak for other step-dads, but I struggle with the label "step"...I purposely wrote the first sentence of this blog to use as a visual aid...Check it out man...Read the first sentence again...Then, dig this...  Recently, I was graciously reminded by my son that he and my daughter, my kids, weren't mentioned in my last blog titled I am "That Old Man"...I feel much more comfortable writing and saying and thinking this way...

My struggle is this...I can't even imagine loving and cherishing my wife's children, anymore than I already do, even if they were biologically my son and daughter...I know their biological dad, and I like the man...There's this piece of me that fears I'm taking something that doesn't belong to me, or, that the kids (they're actually fine adults with kids of their own!) sometime feel that I'm always trying to take cuts in front of their biological dad...Dang man! I've never used the word "biological" so much in my whole life! I can't say "real" dad because I too feel like a "real" dad...I can't say "their" dad because I too feel like "their" dad...

What an amazing dilemma to be in man! I am a fortunate man to have such a wonderful family...You can preface the word "dad" with anything you want, as long as I'm in there somewhere...So, Clint and Carissa, you ARE my kids and I'm proud to tell anyone that...

Peace

3 comments:

  1. You are the most amazing, awesome, loving man, husband,dad and friend. I am one lucky lady...
    Love you, Mo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, it is amazing that love can transcend titles,such as ex,step,significant other, partner, etc, when speaking of relationships. In the sense that one can become more loved and respected in some instances than one that is related by blood.

    I am proud to say that you are my "brother in law". Not just by title, but by being the person you are to all of us. Your kind, generous and loving nature transcends the "title" to a level that defines "family".

    "loving sister in law"
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete